Joyska's Journal: A life turned upside down... literally!











Saturday, May 03, 2008

A life turned upside down... literally!

This morning as the patrons were coming in to the mission, one of the regulars who has become a friend in many ways walked in and looked like he was really struggling. I went over, put my hand on his back and asked if he was alright. He said he was really in pain and went on to describe what his morning had looked like. He was driving into the city with a coworker from their job site (worked really late, so they had slept at the site). He had offered the driver a cigarette, and when the driver took it he dropped his lighter. While trying to get the lighter, he swerved off the road, hit the gravel and flipped the car!

He took off his hat and showed me a gash on the top of his head surrounded by a very large bump. He said he just wanted to lay down and sleep. Now knowing that a concusion was possible, I wouldn't let him sleep. We talked for awhile, sat down and had coffee, and talked about how one decision, one action, could change everything... in an instant. This of course led to a discussion about what was important in life, and how every day is a gift. My friend has been, since I met him anyway, very resistant to any talk of God, or salvation, or death really. Today we talked for almost an hour.

I've heard much of his life story. I've learned the ups and downs that he has been through, and yet he's never asked the questions that he asked today. I could see his heart soften as we talked about how much he was loved and what God had in store for him. It was amazing, and beautiful, humbling and profound all at once. He didn't fall to his knees and accept Jesus, but he did say he had a lot to think about.

We made sure he was alright (had a doc at the mission check him out) and when he left he said to me... " I feel different some how... still in a lot of physical pain, but different." I know why, and I think he does too, but it was a great moment of knowing the Lord was at work.
Joyska at 2:07 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

That's awesome!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home