Joyska's Journal: Justice and Holiness.... One in the same?











Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Justice and Holiness.... One in the same?

In the 90 day reading through the Bible Campaign, I am smack dab in the middle.

Last night I read through many of the Psalms and was really pondering some of the truths presented there. Many of them are "worship the Lord" and just as many if not more are "O God, listen to my cry!" But Psalm 99 - 103 really got my brain turning.

I have this thing about Justice. I hate it when I see unjust things happen to people, I want justice done, I want to see that those responsible for injustice are held accountable. People should have to be held accountable for wrong doings right? My problem is that I want to see Justice done in my way..... That is where the problem comes in.

Psalm 99 starts with : "The Lord is King! Let the nations tremble" and vs 3-4 says " Let them praise your great and awesome name. Your name is Holy! Mighty King, lover of justice, You have established fairness, You have acted with Justice throughout Israel."

Most of my life, I have worked in the inner city in some form, whether with children, teens, or homeless men and women. I have loved interacting and have been honoured to be allowed to hear their stories... but many of them DAILY face injustice from currupted systems, greedy people, and heartless programs that started out with good intentions, but became monsters unto themselves. Where is the Justice in those situations? Where do these precious, though wounded and jaded ones find relief?

Even as I look at the current issues of abuse of 1 in 3 women reported and 1 in 5 boys... or at the staggering rates of human trafficking and slavery, again I want to cry out, God where is your Justice for THESE ones? Why stay your hand? Your arm is mighty to save,,, you have compassion for the poor and the fatherless, for the widows... where is their help?

But then I realize again, my focus is temperal. His is eternal. Will He reign on the earth? Will He bring justcice to the nations? Yes... because He IS HOLY and he IS JUST. The Lord sees. The Lord knows, and he holds his judgement back out of mercy, that some may still turn to Him. God will not hold His anger back forever, there will be a day of account, but He is also a God who is compassionate and loving and will not force anyone to do what is right.

I've had to come to grips with this over and over in my life, for my own circumstances and as I have had the privilege of being part of so many hurting lives. I want justice now. But I have to realize that if He comes in full judgement now, there is no hope left for these ones who oppress and harm others. Yes, I want people to be held accountable, but I'm not ready to stand in judgement and say they deserve Hell. So by holding back His Judgement He is showing Mercy... and in His mercy is Holiness. One in the same? I don't know, but you can't desire one and not experience the other along with it.

Knowing He is a JUST God, allows me to feel safe. Knowing He is a HOLY God, forces me to trust His judgements and pray for those who have yet to find Him.
Joyska at 6:46 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home