Joyska's Journal: Negotiations











Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Negotiations

I am in the midst of a very new experience. Every job I've ever worked or applied for I just accepted the terms offered. Part of that is I just assumed it was what you do, and you work your way up once you are there and can prove yourself. That's not a bad thing, infact when you are starting out it is exactly how it should be.

But what if you are almost 39 and you know that you are capable of doing the job offered, and more, and the rate of pay and benefits aren't necessarily where you want to be. Enter negotiations.

This has been an interesting day as I have gone back and forth via email with a potential employer. For the first time in my life, I feel like I have the opportunity to ask for what I want. Most of my life, I haven't felt I had that right.

But God is changing my perspective of who I am. It feels a bit like arrogance, but I am realizing that really it's not arrogance or pride, but it's more recognition of what I am capable of and what I can offer. I think that is actually a step of growth for me. I guess we will see what the employer thinks :)
Joyska at 9:11 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger ccap said...

Good for you!

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home