Joyska's Journal: prophets and "thus saith the Lord"











Tuesday, July 20, 2010

prophets and "thus saith the Lord"

Isaiah.... need I say more?

I'm about half way through the book and as I'm reading, I'm seeing two sides of God... Isaiah, in his many "thus sayeth the Lord" moments or (NLT) "Listen to the word of the Lord" speaks of God's judgement on Israel, and His redemption of Israel. He speaks of the terrible and glorious day of the Lord in one breath. He talks about "In that day" referring to the at hand judgements AND the last days judgements. But no matter what He speaks, again the thread is God's Justice, Holiness, Unfailing Love, and Unfailing promises.

These for the most part are not Isaiah's words... they are God's. They are words spoken through the prophet to the people of Israel, who for the most part ignore Him and go their merry way... ignoring the judgement that is coming. Some of it is super specific... "within 65 years" and it's like it falls on deaf ears... and history shows the word to be true...

Some of it is specifically about the coming of the Messiah and are familiar verses to many of us... "unto you a child is born, unto you a son is given...and the government will be on his shoulders and he shall be called wonderful, counsellor, prince of peace" To those of us who follow Jesus, of course these words are about Him, it's so obvious, so clear... but to the people of that day and modern Jews, it speaks of a Messiah who will free them from earthly oppression. And they still await the Messiah.

I read these words and my heart quickens and is excited, because I know it is about the Lord Jesus Christ and that His suffering brought me to salvation. His life and death made it possible for me to connect again with God with Christ as mediator and intercessor. My heart is filled with awe and wonder at such a plan and am astounded by the grace and love behind it all... for His people... all who fear Him... but especially for HIS chosen people. Isaiah speaks often that the Lord has not forgotten Jerusalem, has not forgotten Israel and that a remnant will worship Him.

I am grafted in to the family of God. I am His and He is mine because He loved me first and sent Jesus to be the ultimate sacrifice. But He came first for the Jews and then the gentiles. His heart does not change. His heart is still for Israel. I know that... have known that for years, but it struck me today as I was reading through the first half of the book. The day of judgement and fury and the day of glory and might are coming. The story for us and for Israel has not yet unfolded. I'm fascinated by this God who cannot break His promises to His people and who continually draws them to Himself and how we now are part of that body... through HIS grace and mercy.

Wow. What are the prophets saying to us today? What is His word saying to us? Have I hardened my heart against the word of the Lord as to his return? Isaiah talks about that day too. My prayer continues to be "Holy Spirit, teach and guide me as I read your word... don't let my heart be hardened... open the eyes of my heart, that I may know your ways!"

Sobering reading, but oh so exciting!
Joyska at 9:30 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home