Joyska's Journal: we won't shoot











Saturday, January 21, 2006

we won't shoot

tonight I saw a movie that restored my faith in the movie industry. They can make good movies. I saw "At the End of the Spear" and I was inspired again.

There was one line in the movie (many actually) but one that I keep thinking of. When the child asks the dad if he will defend himself, (that is all I want to say so that I don't wreck it for you) the father's response is

"NO, we won't shoot, because we know we are going to heaven... they aren't".

That puts a new spin on an old debate. The need or desire to defend ourselves... kill or be killed... is everywhere. On TV, in the news, in most movies, and to a lesser degree in all of our day to day lives. I'll put them down before they put me down, i'll make my point loudest so that I can look like I am right, and who cares about the other guy and many more crazy ways of defending ourselves and making ourselves secure.

But the amazing thing about this film, which is the story of 5 missionaries who gave their lives for the native people of Ecaudor... is that they were more secure and confident about who they were and what their standing was with God, let alone everyone else in their lives. They got it. They understood. They knew that they already had eternity secure and garaunteed. They also understood that the natives didn't. And for all intent and purposes, they WOULD NOT shoot them when they attacked because they knew the natives eternal destiny was hell.

That very fact... that they didn't shoot, was one of the catalysts that changed the heart of one of the natives. It's a fantastic story that I highly recommend. It's a little intense and brutal at times, but the story is true and inspiring.

As we were walking out Lisa turns to me and says... "so you ready to lay down your life?" to which I now know that I should have responded "I won't shoot".
Joyska at 9:32 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home