Joyska's Journal: amtrack adventures











Friday, June 15, 2007

amtrack adventures

okay it went something like this:

Barb woke me up at 5:30 am and I got up, got ready and was in the van at 5:45. Al dropped me off at the train station and the adventure began. I got on the train on time settled in and left the station at 6:35. So far so good. The conductor came through a few times and apologized that there was no coffee. He also mentioned he had put in a request for a "replacement crew" as they were "dead on wheels" meaning the current crew was going into overtime.

The train STOPPED in the middle of nowhere, so the conductor says "we are waiting on the new crew" and there we sat, and sat, and sat, till the new crew met up with us from DETROIT!!! Whatever we were on our way again 2 HOURS behind.

I get into Chicago's Union Station sometime around noon. I was supposed to be there by 9:30. No worries, my train for Kansas City doesn't leave until 3:15. I wandered around the station, ate lunch and wandered some more. I got to the gate about a half hour early and just hung out. Everyone got in line and checked in and then we were told there were some engine problems and would be delayed 45 minutes. I sat down in line and pulled out a book.

AN HOUR and 45 minutes later they put us on the train. AND THEN we waited and waited and waited. 45 minutes we waited. We are then told that there is a problem with the diner car. We have to switch it out. This process took over an hour and a half. So if you aren't keeping track, we are now 4+ hours behind schedule. So instead of arriving at 10:00 we are scheduled to arrive at 2:00 am.

We, because we were not on a schedule, were forced to wait at different junctions so that the ON TIME trains could stay ON TIME and we didn't crash. I get it, but was getting annoyed. Then at 1:00 AM, we are still 3 hours from Kansas City and the train STOPS. The lights are off, the air is on, but we are not moving. No one tells us what is going on, and at 5:30 AM people are starting to wake up and we are still 3 hours from Kansas City.

Turns out there was a frieght train that derailed about 25 miles ahead of us on the tracks and we could do nothing but wait. At 6:30 AM, we were finally on our way and arrived at the Union Station in Kansas City at 9:45. I called my ride and waited. She came by 10:15, and as we were leaving, the gate to let us out of the station got stuck. At this point all I could do was laugh.

We were "rescued" by a worker, and then, headed home. About 2 miles from the exit, we hit, yes you guessed it... a traffic jam. I laughed again. Finally at 12:30 30 hours after I had gotten on the train the day before, I made it home. And I guess that is the point.

I made it home.
Joyska at 11:22 AM

10 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

That's insane! Try flying next time...although not on Jet Blue :)

Its good to have you back where we know you are safe and sound.

7:22 PM  
Blogger CK said...

Oh my gosh - that is unbelievable!
Seriously, Brian's right - you have to fly next time.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Joyska said...

I went by amtrack because it was far more cost effective... however, we shall see if such an adventure is deemed "worth it" in the future :(

9:06 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Did you get any coffee or diet coke ?
Makes me wonder about the 'hindrances and roadblocks' the enemy throws our way as we are trying to walk by the
Spirit these days. I have dreamed of enemy blockades and your trip would have sent me screeming into insanity.
You have a great attitude Joyska. I love you my friend.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

Why do things always come in multiples? This sounds even more intense than the day I tried to renew my driver's license! Maybe I should blog that story sometime...

7:43 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Crazy trip!

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your crazy trip, but I'm glad you are home now safe/sound. It's been a while since I checked your blog. I was inspired after just a few minutes ago seeing your profile in prayer room via web stream. I said, "Hey there's Joyska!" I think about you often because you "rescued" me in KC last October. I hope to see you again this fall.
Love, Natalie (remember me?)
nmc63@yahoo.com

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez! You could have come and visited me in that time :). That is a crazy trip - but I do love your attitude about it even if it was stressful and tiring. I will have to tell you my Thailand airport story some day!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

Wow what a trip!! I'm in The Peg taking a break!!
I've got to phone Brian this time

12:05 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

That is awful! Sounds like a nightmare. I'm glad its over and I'm sure you are too!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home