Joyska's Journal: SHHHHHHH! A "quiet" week











Sunday, June 26, 2005

SHHHHHHH! A "quiet" week

A week ago I lost my voice. I still don't have it back. Partially because I was at camp for four days and used it to control 11 child in my group... or tried to.

Sydney (Dwayne Roberts daughter... and yes Chloe's sister) was my interpretor. There were a few translation issues like:

Joyska: Sydney tell the girls to be quiet
Sydney: GIRLS: SHUT UP!!!

Joyska: okay girls, you need to listen... i'm getting a little frustrated
Sydney: SHUT UP, You guys are TERRIBLE kids!

Not exactly what I wanted her to say, but the kids did stop talking!

Since I have lost my voice, i have noticed how easy it is to slide into the background. I am trying not to use my voice, so when you aren't talking people can actually take advantage of that. I was on the shuttle yesterday going to the EGS, and usually I am talking with someone. I ended up sitting in the back, having one young lady talk TO me for the full 10 minute ride. I didn't say a word, and the funny part to me was that I don't think she noticed!

Then I was sitting on the patio in front of the coffee shop the other day, and discovered that again, if I don't talk, people either walk right by, or talk non stop.

One thing that has surprised me, is how often I have wanted to voice my opinion, my story that relates, defend my position, etc. Being quiet and letting conversations just happen around me has been quit a learning experience.

I am, by nature a verbal processor. This week has forced me to process some things in my own head, and not with the imput of many people. It's actually been really good. People will always talk about themselves (myself included), and it has been very educational to be UNABLE to voice my thoughts. I'm learning lots.

Today, I am home from church because the voice is still gone, and I am now feverish. I wish it was better, cause I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Boy this is scattered today... sorry, it is probably the fever and the heat!
Joyska at 9:10 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home