Joyska's Journal: It's a small world after all











Monday, August 22, 2005

It's a small world after all

okay, i asked the Lord for some connection points with people recently simply because I was feeling a little "out on my own" lately... well the Lord answered in short order:

I was out for coffee with the Winnipeg girls and Joel and some of Joel's room mates. I'm sitting next to a young guy named Ryan who just happens to mention that he is from Michigan. "really?" I say, "which part?" He is from GRAND RAPIDS (for those of you that don't know I spent close to 14 years in Grand Rapids). That would be a cool connection in and of itself, but it didn't stop there. So I tell him I used to live in GR and then get more specific of what area and what church I went to... sure enough he lives in that area, knows the church, has been to the school that the church is connected to and knows exactly where the street is that I used to live on. Too cool!

Well, then today...One of my new roommates arrived from Pennsylvania (yes I have 2...count em... 2 new roommates). As we were talking I mentioned that I had spent a summer in Philadelphia. "where?" Nicole asks. "In Hunting Park" I reply...

Her mouth drops and she says "Kingdomworks?"

15 years ago I went on a summer mission trip to Philidelphia to work with Bart Campolo (Tony Campolo's son) who ran a ministry called "Kingdomworks". It is where I fell in love with the inner city... it is where God grabbed my heart for working with children in difficult situations... it is where God spoke to me about what I would do with the rest of my life.

Nicole was there too.

We are pretty sure she was there the year after I was (as she is a couple years younger than me..) but we were in the same church basement... sleeping on the same dingy matresses, next to the mouse infested food pantry... working with the same people, and more amazingly to me... some of the same kids! And now, literally 15 years later, we are living in the same house, awaiting the arrival of our second roommate from.... Michigan.

Boy when God answers prayer, he answers prayer!!!!
Joyska at 10:13 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home