Joyska's Journal: wisdom of Deuteronomy











Wednesday, January 25, 2006

wisdom of Deuteronomy

I'm back in the beginning of the Old Testament again. Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers... and now Deuteronomy. I think I need to find out what that word actually means... Genesis means beginning or origin, Exodus is the leaving of Egypt, the great Exodus of a nation from another, Leviticus is the law for the priestly nation, Numbers, is just that, the census of the people and the events around their time in the wilderness, but what does Deuteronomy mean? I'll let you know when I find out... or if you know, let me know!

That however is not the point of this post.

Deuteronomy 4:39 says this: Therefore know this day, and consider it in your heart, that the LORD Himself is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other."

That statement comes in a running commentary by Moses on what has transpired over the 40 years in the wilderness. Having just finished reading all of those events, it was a great refresher. But then I started thinking of what living through all of these events must have been like. This was a nation that through many miracles, signs and wonders were delivered from slavery and brought through the Red Sea on dyr land, had the cloud by day and the fire by night to lead them ALL 40 YEARS, and again and again complained and challenged the Lord. (Read Numbers 16 for a dramatic example... remember the story where the earth swallows up a bunch of people? read what comes after it!!).

KNOW this day, CONSIDER it in your heart. THERE IS NO OTHER. I believe that God is again making His supremecy known on the earth. I've blogged before about "SO THAT THEY MAY KNOW THAT I AM THE LORD" but I am more and more convinced that the LORD is on the move in unprecedented ways. And we haven't seen anything yet.

Yesterday at Hope City, Goldie came in, not 100% sober, but animated. At one point she said "He's comin, y'all, he's freaken comin!" Though it made me laugh, I can't help but think that He is revealing himself to her in a new way. It just brings me back to thinking... know this day, and consider in your heart... there is no other.

I want to be found as one deciding each day that He is who He says He is, and found considering in my heart what that means and declaring that there is no other... in today's whirlwind of choices and events... that is the wisdom of the hour.
Joyska at 1:15 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home