Joyska's Journal: true forgiveness











Monday, July 03, 2006

true forgiveness

I was challenged strongly my last night of class last week.

Derek was talking about overcoming rejection and focusing in on the rejection that David and Jesus went through in their lives and how they responded. It was interesting to walk through the different scriptures that illustrated it. But then, it became very personal when Derek pointed out how Jesus forgave at the end of his life. He turned to the Father and said "forgive them, they know not what they do".

It wasn't about forgiving and then saying... "but I know what you will get in the end" it was about going the extra step and saying... I forgive you, and I want God to forgive you too, so that you can be totally free of this...

It is so easy to say in our hearts, yah, I forgive the offense, but I know that true justice is gonna "get em in the end"... but I rarely go the next step where I ask God to forgive them as well... that He would erase the sin completely...

That is easy enough on a small offense, like an unkind word, like an mean spirited action or two, but what about the bigger offenses? Betrayal, abuse, murder... what does it take to ask God to forgive them for those offenses... even when they aren't asking for it...

It's not an easy road... it's not an easy choice... but it is the road Jesus walked... and the road I need to walk as well. I once wrote a letter to someone saying that I forgave them for their offense, and yet reminded them that they were in the hands of a living God. I think I need to write a different letter. Jesus forgiveness included asking God to forgive them too... I need to pray for that kind of grace, because really... i NEED that kind of grace for me!
Joyska at 6:54 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home