Joyska's Journal: God says give, right?











Sunday, May 25, 2008

God says give, right?

I have throughout my life not been afraid to give things away. In fact, I enjoy giving things away. A number of years ago, when I started attending WCV (Winnipeg Centre Vineyard) I had to grapple with giving in a whole new way. When the church was still located on Burrows, there was a large group of people who would pan handle and ask for money as all the good Christian folk were coming into or out of services. We learned to not carry cash to church. But I remember always feeling bad about that and wondering why I didn't want to help these ones who so obviously had much less than I.

I knew that often they would use whatever money they were given and use it on addictions or other inappropriate behaviours and didn't want to assist them in their addiction. Or at least that is what I told myself. Then, I read a passage in Matthew, somewhere in the Sermon on the Mount (don't have my Bible close by to give you the exact spot, and besides, it's good to search the scriptures hehehe) where Jesus says "Give to those who ask of you, expecting nothing in return" The way I read that is that I am to give, when I have it, and not worry what they are going to do with it. It doesn't read give to those who will use it wisely. So for the most part that is how I try to live.

I find myself once again in a neighbourhood where there are a lot of needs and a lot of people who want money from me. When I'm waiting at the bus stop, when I'm downtown, when I'm at the cornerstore buying something... they are right there asking for money. The other day, a man came up to me while I was coming out of a store in my neighborhood. He told me where he lived and why he needed the money. He claimed that they had just moved into the neighborhood, that their car had broken down and he needed to get back to where they were from because his daughter was in the hospital there. He sounded sincere, and as he spoke I felt likeI needed to help him out. So I did. I gave him some money and he was on his way. I didn't even think about it again.

Well, tonight, coming out of the same store, he was there again. I was wearing different glasses, had a different hair style, and was once again approached with the same story. I let him finish and then simply said, "I already helped you out a few days ago." He looked at me, turned around quickly and ran down the street. At first I felt "betrayed" and ripped off in some way, but then I realized that I had done what I was supposed to do. The Lord tells me to give, and somewhere else he says "judge not, or you shall be judged by the same measure". Give, don't judge.

Common sense would say, be wise and don't trust, but that isn't what I read in Scripture. I'm writing this to convince myself more than to state a case. I don't always get the why's, but I'm learning that that isn't the point anyway. God says give... don't judge... and I believe He also says "lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him." Can't get any clearer than that.

Does that mean I should have given this guy MORE money? I don't think so, because this time I could call him on his deception, and had he stuck around, I might of asked him what he was really using the money for... not in judgement, but in genuinely wanting to help him in a better way. Or, maybe I'm still required of the Lord to give. That is the question that I wrestle with. I'm to forgive "Seventy times seven times" and it doesn't say give once, judge later.

This is where I go to yet another Scripture in James that says "if you lack wisdom, ask for it" So Jesus... wisdom is needed, and I'm asking for it! Even if it rattles my common sense.
Joyska at 9:30 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Roo said...

joyska...i LOVE this post. amen sister. it resonates with what God has been speaking to me again and again and again ( i have a hard head)

thanks for the reminder!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Vikki said...

Hi :) I'm a lurker, 1st time commenting. I've been reading your blog for a while and I LOVE your heart!

I've struggled with this very issue...still do. If God gives you any revelation, please share!!!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Disclaimer: this might not be wisdom but its my humble opinion...er...my opinion anyway.

In that little blurb of Matt 5, it sounds kind of like talking about formulas or equations. If this, then that. Jesus is saying a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit the equation of "an eye for an eye" which WAS at that time...common sense.

I think you already have the answer. You asked Jesus to help you see outside your common sense, and I think that's what He was talking about in the verse you quoted, overcoming our common sense and our natural gut-reactions.

So am I saying, giving is right?
Not really. I'm saying looking to Jesus for wisdom in every instance of our lives is right.
You GO Girl!

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you remember when i used to have this very problem at Hope City? God revealed to me that the blessing is very much for the giver as well as the reciever. that helped some, but you and others helped me realise that the person we help may be reached because we gave in the name of the Lord,
Miss u much Marsha

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home