Joyska's Journal: Happy Birthday Oma!!!











Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Happy Birthday Oma!!!

Today is my Oma's 102nd birthday (oma is grandmother in Dutch). She lives in Holland and I went to see her 2 years ago on her 100th birthday with my mom and dad. 102. She is still doing well, still living in a home for seniors in Doorn (in Holland). As far as we know she is still healthy and going strong...

102. She is 69 years older than me. What must she have seen in her long life? the inventions of automobiles, planes, computers, skyscrapers, landing on the moon, music records, tv, untold things that we can't imagine life without.

When I was there two years ago, she was singing songs and hymns that she had known her whole life. She quoted Psalms and loved hearing people sing. I realize that I want that to be me. I want to, when I am old and gray (not necessarily 102!!) have the Word so deep in my heart that it is all I can remember. Out of the heart the mouth speaks...

Well, I know Oma isn't reading this, but Happy Birthday Oma, and as you get closer to the face of Jesus, know that I am coming behind you!! (not for a while yet though!) And since I know that my parents are reading this blog, let me say in the tradition of all Dutch people "Congratulations on your mother's birthday!"

Fill ya in on the rest of my life here later!
Joyska at 9:00 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home