Joyska's Journal: the voice in the wilderness....











Wednesday, March 02, 2005

the voice in the wilderness....

have you ever thought about John the Baptist? I know I haven't thought too much about him over the last 20 years of my life. Until today... Deborah Hiebert spoke in our Forerunner Foundations class (because Allan Hood is unable to use his voice for a while) on hearing the voice of Jesus in the wilderness. (She refers to Jesus as the Bridegroom) She had us look at Matthew 11:11-12 where it says, "Assuredly I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."

Jesus was commenting on John's life and said that there was none greater on earth. He describes John as the premiere example of someone who lived in radical obedience in a generation that saw many miraculous signs. He was a living example of one who waited to hear the voice of Jesus, and prepared himself and others for that voice. Deborah put it this way, John did everything he could to get out of the way so that Jesus would be made known. He wanted to know his voice, not so that he could be a great evangelist and therefore win many, but so that he could be the vessel through which the voice of Jesus would be recognized. The only thing that john said about himself is "I am a voice in the wilderness. That is all I am."

What I realized for me as I was listening to Deborah was that I want John's heart to be the characterization of my life. I want to hear the voice of Jesus so that I can be his voice... I don't want to run after having my name and my face being known. It's not about that, it's about having the words of Jesus proclaimed. John had a voice in his day, because he heard THE voice of the Bridegroom.

Does that make any sense? It rings in my heart, but I'm at a bit of a loss on how to communicate it.

Then tonight, Pam and I invited Dale and Cheryl Anderson (the leaders of Intro) over for supper. They are fellow Canadians from Calgary and just wanted to bless them. As we sat and talked for a long time and discussed many things, like the highs and lows of being here, as well as the joys of finances and support. The longer we talked the more I realized I was sitting in a room with a couple who live very much in the idea and Spirit of John the Baptist. For them, it is all about intimacy with Jesus and letting his voice be heard... ah, it's so hard to explain, but it made me want even more to bury myself in knowing the love of the FATHER, and the KING, so that the overflow of my heart is living with his voice speaking clearly through me.

Pam and I are sitting here amazed at what we have heard and learned over the last four weeks. If we left right now (which isn't the plan) we'd have enough to chew on for years to come. It's quite an experience, and there is much more to come. Crazy!
Joyska at 10:14 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home