Joyska's Journal: oh my goodness











Wednesday, March 09, 2005

oh my goodness

i wish I could say I was making this up:

I'm sitting at my desk in my office, minding my own business, trying to sort a few minor details out for the week to week stuff that I do on Friday nights. Bob Leonard, one of the conference administrators asks me what I am doing at 4:00. Well, since it is the Global Bridegroom Fast, I am tempted to say, "ah, going to the prayer room" but instead I say, "what do ya need?"
Bob says, "I need drivers to pick up the shuttles for the conference"
Joyska, "Sure I can help ya with that..."

So 4:00 comes around and I am in a van with 7 other people complete with Gary Cooper cramed in the hatch of the mini-van... if you don't know who he is think of someone tall like Brian, about John Rademaker's age and and absolutely hysterical. Now, he chose to be in the hatch, because he said it had the most leg room, but it was quite the sight. ANYWAY... we get to the place that we are getting the shuttles from and my heart does a little flip. In the parking lot are nothing but BUSES!!!!
Joyska, " you know I don't have a bus liscense right?"
Gary,"that's okay they are the short buses, you don't need a bus lisence."
Joyska, " I have to drive that on the highway?!"
Tim, " yeah, but it's one lane, no need to change lanes at all."
Okay, i can do this
So we pull out of the parking lot. I am #4 of 7 Mini buses. It's kinda fun, I got Amanda infront of me, Pam behind me, and we head out. We get on to 71, all cars get out of our way (I'm sure 7 buses can be a little intimidating) and we are heading toward Longview. (for those of you who know the area we picked up the buses in Belton... not that far away, what could possibly go wrong?)

I was feeling comfortable, no problems, window down, enjoying the sun and the wind, when suddenly Amanda throws on her hazards and pulls off the highway right by Blue Ridge Road. What do I do? I don't know where I am (for I have NO sense of direction) and I don't want to leave Amanda stranded, so I pull off behind her. ALL THREE OTHER BUSES SAIL RIGHT ON BY.

Amanda at that point thinks we all did. I see her reach for her cell phone and start making frantic calls. She finally looks in her rearview and sees me. She comes over to me and tells me she is OUT OF GAS!! She is happy I stopped, locks her bus, and gets in mine. We start making our way to IHOP. We get to Grandview and Red Bridge just as Gary is coming around the corner. We pull over and he meets up with us. Well, once the story is told, Gary says, well one of y'all gots to come with me to get gas and get the bus. Amanda at that point is frazzled and says she has to get back... I am praying, Lord PLEASE! I am such a chicken! Send someone else to drive these crazy highways! (During Rush hour no less)

Well, either because God likes me, or it was just coincidence, Sandy pulled up and on hearing the situation, offered to go. So I didn't even have to show (OR SWALLOW) my fear, and everyone got home safely... although I held up traffic on Red Bridge trying to take the corner by IHOP!

So there ya go... being a servant to all can eventually get ya in trouble! Although, I tell ya, if I wasn't doing the kids stuff, I would enjoy being a shuttle! Those buses are kinda fun to drive!!
Joyska at 3:44 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home