Joyska's Journal: A Challenge for you... consider this:











Thursday, September 14, 2006

A Challenge for you... consider this:

I figure that I haved talked about Hope City often enough on this blog for you to know what we do. We were in the park again today feeding the homeless. We are building a presence there and a trust with the people who are coming on a regular basis, and they are starting to respond. One of the ladies today, didn't want to leave until she gave us all a hug... another lady went out and found her friends and brought them back (the highest form of trust in my opinion!)and yet another showed me her ratty flipflops and shared what it like living on the street. Ah... but I digress...

Here is the challenge. We are in need of some very specific items for these friends. Butch needs new pants, Suzanne and Ray need a new blanket because theirs smells of mildew from all the rain lately, and Ron and others need a place over their heads for the winter.

SOOOOO...

I want to buy as many sleeping bags (good ones, like the -40 degree weather type!) as we can. There are so many who are looking at the weather turning and saying... I don't know, I don't have warm enough stuff, I don't have a place... and many other concerns. I want to buy sweatshirts, hoodies, gloves, etc. But here is the problem... there is only so much money to go around.

I am not asking for ME, I am asking for THEM. Hope City's budget is small... and we have increased our feeding from one meal a week to three meals a week. Money is ALWAYS there when we need and I am sure it will continue to be, but I wanted to extend the invitation to you out there who are faithful to reading the blog and have gotten to know some of the names and faces. We are so quick to do this type of thing for Christmas and other "holidays", but these folks are getting cold now, and need our help.

So what am I asking for?

Sleeping Bags and money. Quite frankly.

If you ARE up to the challenge...

You will notice a donation option on the sidebar of my blog. Please feel free to donate cash through those means...or if you are Canadian and would like a tax reciept, send a cheque to Winnipeg Center Vineyard with a note indicating Kansas City Inner city project.

OR if you are from Winnipeg inparticular, you can send actually sleeping bags with anyone who might be heading this way(if they have room)! (check with the Gustaks, or with the Farrows, orb Harv or Joel).

OR if you are American and would like a tax reciept, please send a cheque directly to me made out to IHOP. If you need my address (rather than posting it so publicly) please email me at joyska@hotmail.com.

Let me leave you with this thought. We met at least 5 new homeless people today and they all expressed needs like socks, shoes, blankets, food, coats, and friendship. The friendship part we can do and love doing... the rest well, we just need a little help and want others to be involved too.

Bless you guys! And thanks for "considering"!
Joyska at 4:37 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home