Joyska's Journal











Thursday, October 19, 2006

I spent most of the day yesterday with Lisa, Frog and Michelle. We took them up to a clinic to get the meds that they need. The system can be cruel. Michelle needs insulin for her diabities, among other things, and had just enough for the day... and maybe a shot in the morning. Because of various hoops and hurdles it will be a 5 hour process. We didn't have the 5 hours. So they are going back today. To wait. And to hopefully emerge with enough meds to keep them going. They are both sick and need a place to rest their weary bodies.

Then last night, the phone rings. My caller ID says Pay Phone. This is the conversation:

Hello
Hi, it's me Frog
What's up?
Well, the owner came through the building, we are being kicked out.

The conversation continued with a request for somewhere to store their stuff til they could find another place that 11 people could crash. 11 people. 11 humans, wandering the street looking for a place to lay their head. 11 people I know and love. This stuff moves my heart like none other. It went down to 32 degrees F last night... (zero degrees C), I know the plan was to stay one more night and leave before the workers got their in the morning, so I know they were at least out of the wind, (and wrapped in their sleeping bags :) ). But I just keep asking God to break in, to show us what our response needs to be. They don't want at this point to come out of the area, it's home to them, and I couldn't take them all in anyway. Eventhough I really want to.

And then there is Suzanne and Ray. We ran into Suzanne yesterday... freezing, wandering alone because of a fight between her and Ray. She was on her way to sleep under the bushes in the park... carrying only a blanket. The night before they had been woken up and forced to move at 1:00, at 4:00, and at 7:00. She said the sleeping bag had kept her warm, but they hid it so no one would steal it. Suzanne is 53 years old, sick, and exhausted. But she too, for various reasons, is not ready to take the steps needed to get off the street. Her addictions are too strong, her brokenness is so deep. And as the tears fall down her face, she says "I love you guys, see you tomorrow".

This is a hard place. We know the Lord spoke clearly, to wait on the buildings, to keep doing what we are doing... to keep moving. I trust Him. I trust that He will break in at the perfect moment with the perfect plan. I trust Him with the lives of Suzanne, Ray, Frog, Michelle, Adam, Puck, Will, Stephanie, Chrissy, Michael, Angie, Craig, Kevin, and a whole host of others. I do. I trust HIM. My heart is just broken for the ugliness of addiction, sickness, and pain.

But, there is joy in Frog's voice as he says that they are sticking together and that God will take care of them. He's not discouraged, bummed out, but not discouraged. They have their "mobile soup kitchen" and are ready to go with that and they know they are more fortunate then most. They have each other and they have faith. They know that the Lord is moving in and through them. And that is awesome to watch.
Joyska at 7:46 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home