Joyska's Journal: Canada Bound











Friday, November 17, 2006

Canada Bound

I am heading to Canada tomorrow.

However... I'm heading to a very Northern part of Canada, not my home of Winnipeg.
I have been offered an opportunity to go and work with a company called "This NEXT Generation" which I have worked for in the past.

In the next 7 days, I will be in Alberta, in the Northwest Territories, on big planes, little planes, and on 4 different reserves. I'm excited to go, and it will be a significant change of pace. It will also help provide a significant deposit on a new computer! woo hoo!

Life here in KC has continued to be eventful. The work with the homeless has been awesome, heart breaking, and fun all at once. We have been hanging out with three younger ones (18, 21, 27) and have spent many hours hearing their stories, seeing where they have slept to stay out of the cold, and just getting a glimpse of what life on the street is all about.

They have also been getting a glimpse of our lives. Today we had them all at IHOP and ate lunch with them in the intern's cafeteria. One of them opened the Bible and was reading out of Psalm 118. He said it was the first time he had ever really read it, and the words were speaking to them. They all have Bibles now :)

It's such a challenge to see how much people are lost without God. The issues are so complex and drug addiction is terrifying, but without God's intervention it is a slow death. But God is breaking in. These three are seeing there is another way... there is another choice... and that choice is theirs to make. Right now they are seeing that people do want to help, that we want them out of the cold, that we are doing all we can to make that happen and for at least the next week that IS happening for them. God is moving on their lives and we are willing participants.

Earlier this week, we took these three out to Ronna's. At one point, we got some cereal as a "midnight snack" and they were excited about having milk on their cereal... and a glass of COLD milk to go with it. They were thrilled to have beds... and yet afraid they would roll off. And when I saw today, where they had been sleeping, I understood even more how much they have had to do to survive.

It's an honour and a privilege to know these "kids" as we call them. They are genuine at moments, liars at times, and always looking over their shoulders to see if we, like everyone else are going to hurt or abandon them. I get that. I also know that there is nothing we can do to save or for that matter change them. That is God's job. I do know, however, that God has called me and the others involved with Hope City to love and care for these ones (and many others)...

The very thing I wanted to do. :)

Sooooo... off I go to the great white North, and I will blog apon my return, unless of course I find access to the World Wide Web in my travels.

Hopefully within a week of my return, I will be writing to you from a BRAND NEW computer for me!!!
Joyska at 8:28 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home