Joyska's Journal: Canadian Bacon











Monday, November 22, 2004

Canadian Bacon

I watched the movie Canadian Bacon last night. (What else is there to do when the Encounter God service is cancelled) I also watched tiny bits and pieces of the Grey Cup too, but I really didn't care which team won, so it held little interest.

Back to the bacon. This is a movie that is directed by Micheal Moore (Roger and Me, Bowling for Colombine, Farenheite 911) and it was so funny! If you haven't seen it, it is a movie about an American president who gets into office on a slim margine and then is losing popularity because there is too much peace. So the president (Alan Alda) is confinced by his advisors (Kevin Polluck and Rip Torn) to start a war with Canada. The Sheriff and Deputy of Niagra Falls NY are all too happy to be on the front lines (played of course by our own John Candy and Rhea Pearlman) What ensues is a generally goofy portrayal of how Canandians are polite, neat, and trusting. When John Candy pushes through the crowd yelling "GET OUT OF MY WAY" the Canadians apologize! They try to tick the Canandians off by pouring litter on the Niagra Falls Ontario side! They go to the Hydro station and are about to knock the door down, when Candy quips "no body locks their doors here" and just turns the nob. Are we really seen this way to the rest of the world? Are we really this way?

I know I lock my doors. I know I won't apologize to some big oaf who knocks me over while yelling "GET OUT OF MY WAY" and litter? Well, you can ask my room mates how effected I am by that! But heh, I lived 14 years in the states... maybe I'm not the one to ask! But, I apologize if I have offended anyone, I'll leave the door to my office unlocked (while I'm here) and I'll be sure to pick up all litter on my way home. Because after all... I am Canadian.
Joyska at 9:50 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home