Joyska's Journal: in GR











Sunday, January 02, 2005

in GR

No, that does not mean that I am in GRR. It means I am in Grand Rapids... no, not Grand Rapids, Manitoba... Grand Rapids Michigan! I spent fourteen years of my life in this crazy town, and it is wierd to be back. I went to my old church this morning and spent a bit of time hanging out and talking with familiar faces and lost names. I recognized the names as they were being whispered in my ear by my dear friend Patricia, but couldn't put as many names to faces as I wanted to. It's hard when you leave a place that is dear to your heart, find a new place that is just as dear, and see life move on... with you or without you. But then I remember that everybody is thinking the same thing about me... I recognize the face, but is that what's her name? Of course there are the exceptions to that, the ones you will never forget, the friends who will always be friends... the ones that you couldn't forget, even if you wanted to... not that you would want to!

Like for instance, I am staying with my friends Barb and Al. They are forever going to be the kind of people that you can not talk to or see for a long time and you pick up exactly where you left off. My friends Patricia and Lisa are like that too. (And if Joanne wasn't off in Mexico somewhere, I'm sure it would be true with her as well). Then there is familiar places. Patricia, Joanne and I used to always go to Big Boy... a restaurant NONE of us would go to now, but always used to... the familiar stain glass windows in the sanctuary where I spent hours in services, day camps, and just going in late at night or early in the morning to play piano or pray with Patricia and Joanne. Then of course there is the famous playing of Shanghai with Barb, Al, and Patricia... it's like I never left! The amazing thing is, it all was from 10 years ago, and everytime I come here it is like coming home. 14 years will do that.

Anyway as the holidays are now pretty much over, enjoy your getting back in the swing of things! Happy 2005!
Joyska at 10:34 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home