Joyska's Journal: August 4th... a day to live on in infamy!











Saturday, August 04, 2007

August 4th... a day to live on in infamy!

Happy Birthday to me!

Today I am 36. WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN? I am now officially closer to 40. In math you round up after 5 right? yikes.

It has been exactly 2 and 1/2 years since I left Winnipeg. And I return in 20 days. It's been a good run here in KC. I've learned more than I even know, and did more than I will ever remember! (that sounded a bit like Bilbo Baggins didn't it? hahaha)

Turning 36 has given me a moment to ponder my life. I think I did this last year as well. In fact I think I said some of the same things: I'm not married, I have no children, I don't and have nor have I ever owned a car, my earthly possessions are few, but I have lived a very adventurous life!

I have had the privilege of teaching hundreds of children along the way, little and big. I have spoken in 59 reserves throughout Northern Canada, I dove into the Artic Ocean at 4 degrees celcius in the middle of August. I have had many friends that are now all over the world. I have a college degree. I have made food and fed MANY MANY homeless and poor. I have had seasons of financial provision and seasons of financial... shall we say... drought... but have always had enough... now that sounds like Paul!

I have flown in big planes overseas, and 5 seaters over rivers and lakes. I have driven on frozen rivers, and walked on a few as well. I have survived - 56 degree windchills and 104 degree picnics! One birthday I even went to an outdoor wedding on the hottest day of the year! (Happy anniversary Sherwood and Jocelyn... I won't ever forget!)

I have lived away from home for 20 years! I have lived in (I still can't believe this...) 29 different houses or apartments in my 36 years (about to move into #30). I have had many friends along the way that I keep in touch with, and many that regretably I don't. I've won a couple awards along the way for art and writing, and have written more stories and poems and allegories than I can count!

I have read through the scriptures 10 times... 7 of those times in the last 4 years. That is my favourite accomplishment. I have worked in a church whose heart is for the poor. I have worked in a place whose heart is prayer, and I'm finding the balance in my own life. It all comes together.

I have made many fashion mistakes. I have had many hair colour mishaps, (my favourite being "plum"). I have gained and lost and regained more pounds than I want to talk about!

But there truly has been one constant. God's hand. I don't always recognize it, and I often fight against it, but His hand guides me every step of the way... waiting for me at times, but always willing to push in the direction I am to go. I am humbled by that realization, and even more honoured that He loves me enough to do it! So any accomplishments before mentioned... let the GLORY be His, because He knows better than all, that I wouldn't have made it this far with out Him!

SOOO... Happy Birthday to me... and as I head back to Winnipeg, here is to the next leg of the adventure!
Joyska at 8:31 AM

8 Comments:

Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

Happy Birthday! I know your life has had many ups and downs, but I'm amazed at the adventurous journey God has you on and even more amazed that you still recognize His hand and trust Him as your guide. Way to go!
Love ya! :)

1:28 PM  
Blogger Lanney said...

That is an awesome post Joyska! I am excited to see where God leads you in this 36th year!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

That is a great post! Happy Birthday to you!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

HEY ... HAPPY HAPPY BDAY!!!!
so well written -as usual :-)

Head back to Winnipeg??? Fill me in girl. we need to catch up!

Canada has called us both back
i c!!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Roo said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY joyska. (nor shall i ever forget sherwood and jocelyns wedding. i coudnt belive the guys actually wore full on SUITS that day. wow! hardcore.)

WELCOME BACK to winnie-peg too!!! we have lots of transition happaning too....brian resigned from a job he has had over 12 years...he is currently training his replacement and then......
we're not yet sure. :)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY, Joyska!
Can't wait to see you soon : )

4:39 PM  
Blogger natalie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:22 PM  
Blogger natalie said...

Happy (belated) Birthday Joyska!! Congrats re your forthcoming move to Winn and your new job! I think IHOP and Hope City will miss you, but it sounds like you have quite the friends/family welcoming you back to Winn with open arms. God bless you in this new adventure and phase of your life!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home