Joyska's Journal: the weeping prophet part 2











Tuesday, July 27, 2010

the weeping prophet part 2

Jeremiah, like Isaiah, is a long book.

I'm in Chapters 33-43 ish (something like that) today and all the prophesies of the earlier chapters are coming true. Babylon has but Jerusalem under siege... the people refuse to surrender as the Lord directed, (actually the king refused) and now many of them are dead, the king has watched the nobles of Israel and his own family slaughtered before him and has now had his eyes gouged out...

Yah, not a happy, feel good book. It's tragic. It's painful to read because it could have turned out so differently.

All day today I have been mulling over these chapters and especially the fate of the King of Israel. His punishment seems so harsh. So many people die because they refuse to turn back to the Lord. My question today, as I was working and making lots of phone calls.... was what area am I that stubborn in? Is there an area in my life that God has told me flat out what will happen if I don't follow His ways, and I do it anyway? OF COURSE there is!! I think all of us have some area that we fight to surrender. WHY is that? HE IS GOD AND THERE IS NO OTHER... what could I possibly have to say in defense of my stubbornness?

Then I thought about Jeremiah... while he is sitting in jail, and even for a time in the bottom of a mud caked cistern for speaking out the word of the Lord against Jerusalem, he doesn't weep for himself, but for the people of God, and their stubbornness and rebellion. His heart remains steadfast in following God's words and commands. I want to be like Jeremiah. I want my heart to break for the judgements that are inevitably coming on our nation. I want to be one who declares truth no matter what the cost... not aim to keep everyone happy.

I have a long way to go, but I'm praying the Lord continue to soften my heart and to break my heart with the things that break His. I want to be so moved in prayer that tears are my only option. If you know me at all, that is something only Jesus can do in me

The book of Jeremiah has much to ponder. But once again it leads me back to His unfailing love and perfect justice. I think it's chapter 38 or 39 where the Lord says I love them, so I must discipline them... all unto drawing them back to Himself. Once again, He is God and there is no other... who am I to argue?
Joyska at 3:37 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home