Joyska's Journal











Thursday, August 30, 2007

Well, after day 2 at Blessings, I can say that I am getting the hang of it all. It's been a long time since I had to dress up to go to work, but other than that it is good. I am really missing Hope City and the crew, but outside of that, it's been a good transition. I'm continueing to trust that God has it all in hand.
As I was downtown this morning, I had a different view than I would have 2 years ago. I saw at least 5 people who were obviously homeless, carrying everything they own in various bags, wearing two or three jackets when the weather doesn't even call for one. A number of them were along Portage Ave with their hats out asking for spare change. I stopped and talked to a few. I have nothing to give them right now, but I was able to acknowlege them as people, smile at them and bless them, and that seems to make a difference. One lady smiled back and said "thanks for talking to me".
It's a new view for me. I've always seen the "sniffers", the ones who are broken in spirit and in body... they are hard to miss, but somehow I have missed those who are living on the street. Don't get me wrong, there are many sniffers living on the street, but these ones are different somehow.
I saw one woman today as I was waiting for the bus, who had 4 or 5 bags slung over her shoulders going all sorts of ways. She had her hoodie up over her head and was wearing two other jackets over the hoodie. She wore two different shoes and shuffled along Graham Mall, not looking at any of the people who were trying as hard as they could to get out of her way. She was on the other side of the street, and as I watched, she seemed so lost and broken. I prayed for her from where I stood and asked God to encourage her heart today. But I didn't go over to her. I should have.
It's such a hard balance. I have grown to love the poor. I have grown to want to see deliverance come to them. Winnipeg has a different feel to me this time around, and I need to work... make money and be "responsible" and my initial response is to pray...AND I am asking the Lord how it all fits together.
I want to start a prayer meeting specifically for the poor in Winnipeg. We need to pray first and foremost. Out of that, I am asking the Lord for strategies and ideas, opportunity is already there, but I want to do what the Father is doing in this city.
The Lord knows what is coming. I'm just along for the ride.
Joyska at 8:54 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

Joyska!
Thanks for your beautiful thoughts. I want be there beside you praying and joining in on the ride.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Glad to hear that work was good...I was wondering how your first few days were!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Your heart for the poor is amazing, Winnipeg is very blessed to have you back!!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

I'm so glad you're here. A fresh face for a lost and lonely place!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home