Joyska's Journal: On the way to and from work











Saturday, September 01, 2007

On the way to and from work

No one can say that riding the bus in Winnipeg is boring.
One day soon I want to do a photo blog of all the things you can see along the 38 South bound and the 45 Kildonan Place bus routes.
Let me start with the ride home. First of all, I have forgotten some of the unique characters that ride the bus. There are the super talkative ones who, even though no one is responding is talking to anyone who glances in their direction. Then there is the best buddy of the bus driver, that obviously has been taking the same bus for 20 years and they have become fast friends, probably even heading out to the lake for the weekend kind of friends.
Then of course you have the folks that never look at anyone and look terrified, especially those who avoid eye contact at all times. You have the readers (usually me), and the cell phone talkers, who let EVERYONE know what is happening in their lives. It's amusing really. I discovered that one man is planning to fly to Calgary next weekend as he made his travel plans with his travel agent... while sitting beside me! Am I to be impressed?
I waited downtown for my transfer and low and behold, the old familiar smell of sniff and sweat. I discovered a whole crew of sniffers in the bus shelter, just hanging out. I, being by myself stayed out near the street :)
I watched as a young couple had a little disagreement, chatted with a lady sitting on the bench... even prayed for some who walked by.
This morning when I left (earlier than I EVER want to leave...)there was a man literally trying to carry, what I assume was his VERY drunk girlfriend, down the street. She was hic-cupping and everything...the classic mock drunk person, but she wasn't mocking it... she was it. I prayed as they walked by, asked if I could help, but they both kept going.
Once on the bus, I took stock of all those around me. Again, the classic cell phone talkers... the shy quiet ones, the readers and the bus driver's best friend. I looked out the window and watched as the Early Saturday morning crowd gathered at street corners in everything from torn jeans to construction orange jumpers.
I'm always fascinated by the people. But this time, it was striking my heart... life just keeps moving forward for people. Do the folks on the bus recognize their calling? Do the people on the streets KNOW that they are loved? Do the sniffers have ANY idea that the God of the universe is jealous for their hearts? Where does the Spiritual meet the physical? How do we bridge the gap? I'm sure there is a way... I know there has to be.
The cry of my heart today and always is... show me what You are doing God, and help me join you in the process!

Lots to process, but it is truly amazing to see the variety of people who reside in this city. MUCH more to come on this subject FOR SURE!!
Joyska at 11:01 PM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you.

I don't get a chance to read blogs very often but had a chance to read yours' tonight. I am so excited to see you are back in town. It has been way to long since I have seen you. Email me soon and lets plan to go for coffee.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Needs, needs, needs...everywhere we look we see needy people.
Needing a ride, needing a bed, needing to numb pain with sniff, or needing attention (Calgary trip guy).

It is good that you can look beyond the needs, and see people who are loved with a destiny and a calling. So many people with a heart for social justice get caught up in trying to meet all the needs, they fall into despair.
I'm glad you will keep your eyes focused where they should be so you don't fall into that trap. Yet the fact that you take the time to notice the needs, is a testiment to the compassionate heart of God that lives in you.
Your post brought an idea to mind.
Perhaps, if the decision makers in our government officials want to figure out how to best service their city, province or nation...they could just ride the bus to get a better sense of what the needs are...what do you think?

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The God of the universe is jealous for (your) heart."

Lovely.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home