Joyska's Journal: It's been a coon's age!











Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It's been a coon's age!

I assume that means a very long time! hahaha

Life has been busy since I started working at Siloam. Let me first and foremost say, I love my job. A typical day (if there are no significant incidents) looks a bit like bussing tables at a busy restaurant., except the people wait in line for the food and as one of the volunteers said "don't expect any tips". I love just getting to know the people. For obvious reasons I cannot tell you who they are, but I can tell you they are amazing.

I am constantly amazed at the sense of humour in them. They love to laugh and joke around and they have such a quick wit. It keeps me on my toes for sure! There are of course the difficult situations, the struggles that have gotten them to a place of homelessness, stories of great loss, brokenness, and sometimes just mental illnesses that have taken over their lives. It's a humbling thing to be amongst such an amazing group of people.

I'm getting to know some by name, and happily greet them as they walk in the door, or take their spot. They are getting to know my name now too, and constantly asking me if it Ukranian, Russian, or Polish, I tell them my name is Dutch AND I have creative parents. They laugh every time. Some of them are fascinated that as far as I know, I'm the only Joyska out there. There is one gentleman who tells people that everytime he sees me.

There are a few characters there too. There are the ones that can get everybody laughing, the ones who you know to give them their space, the ones who love to talk, and the ones who won't talk to me at all yet. It's like anywhere people gather. That is part of what I love about it. Everyone has a story, everyone haas a unique personality and great strengths as well as weaknesses. And I love that they gather at Siloam.

I've had the privilege of praying with a few who tell me the details. That has been my greatest honour so far. Faith has a different expression on the street, and I'm learning that quickly, and I am reminded daily of the blessings in my own life. Even waiting for the bus in the cold has taken on a new experience for me. I wait at most a half hour in the cold, these guys will stand in line for hours for a meal or a place to sleep. There is great strength in them. Great strength.

Well, I could go on and on, but I need to get ready for work. Please pray for the homeless and porr in your community. They need compassion and support. Please pray also for healing for my feet. I'm finding it hard some days to walk as quickly as I would like. When I am home, my feet tend to be in significant pain. While I'm working, for the most part they are good, and more numb than anything else, but when I get home and relax a bit, they really can hurt.

Anyway. There is my update! I will try to do better at keeping you all informed and look forward to sharing many more experiences! The Lord truly is great!
Joyska at 4:22 AM

1 Comments:

Blogger Roo said...

joyska! we were in your old stomping grounds last weekend -- ihop! so sorry that i finally made it AFTER you were gone. :)

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home